Sunday, December 26, 2010

Merry Christmas

..after a week of daily visits to my docs and nightly visits to the MGH ER...

.. Friday evening was yet another ER visit dictated by a call from my doc...

..blood clots in my lungs (sortof explains the shortness of breath)..

Combined with a low platelet count, this amounts to a medical catch 22..

Apparently, this (the blood clot part)is pretty common for pancreatic cancer patients in chemo..

Usually treated with daily injections of blood thinner for six months, except...

My blood is already too thin and I can't begin a remedy for my lungs until I resolve my plateletcount...

Christmas Eve I transitioned from the ER to a hospital bed and pincushion-time..

David takes up residence in chair by my bed and won't leave me alone here...

Christmas Day comes and goes...

David goes home for an hour to attend to anxious wieners and kitties and back by my side for another night together courtesy of MGH..

We're hoping to go home today...hoping...

I don't think they'll let me go until I grow some more platelets...

...trying; really, I'm working this platelet thing as best I can...

One good thing: the view here is of the Charles River from 16 floors up..

David jokes with my nurse that this a view that he wouldn't be able to afford under any other circumstances .... He pauses and smiles and adds: "I guess I wouldn't be able to afford this either, without insurance..."

We count our blessings and are thankful to all the MGH and Yawkie people who gave up their Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so that I could continue to inhabit this world...

Christmas is truly a time to be thankful....

...we are..

No comments:

Post a Comment